Sunday, February 1, 2009

oh but I don't KNOW what to SAY

Anne Lamott talks about the importance of writing, if I may be so French, "Shitty first drafts."

I hope I don't offend, but I curse a lot in real life. Except when I'm around people who curse all the time (usually inserting four-letter words, coupled with "-ing" into sentences as adjectives. I hate that).

Anyway, sometimes I don't write much because I am so terrified of writing something horrible and being eternally judged by my otherwise loving family and friends for my lack of brilliance.

Yeah, that happens, like, all the time, I'm sure.

I was a creative writing major, after all. I am supposed to be good at this. Yet I find myself postponing writing anything because I can never conjure up something that measures up to my standards.

I am trying to break this habit.

Especially because I happen to feel inspired to write, like, on an hourly basis. I don't think that happens to everyone.

Also, I had a pretty incredible experience recently. So I think I might write about that, for posterity's sake, you know. (Feigning humility here.)

The inauguration. It's a celebration, bitches, and I got to party it up. And by that I mean stand in the cold and break into tears and catch bronchitis.

It was epic.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

...I pretty much love everything you write, Mary Ellen :)