Sunday, February 1, 2009

music makes the people smile

On Sunday we attended the fabulous "We Are One" concert at Lincoln Memorial. We wandered about halfway up the reflecting pool (in the dry area, called the grass) about 11 a.m. But judging on our present need for food, we decided that time and activity would only increase this necessity. So off we went in search of sustenance.

Why the hell doesn't this Mall have a food court? Can I get an Amen? Amen! Amen!

(I am getting ahead of myself in capturing these memories!)

By the time we wandered back, the Mall was overflowing with people. So we found ourselves standing in between the World War II Memorial and the Washington Monument. How far is this? Far enough to really appreciate our view on Tuesday.

I think the best word I've come up with is "surreal." I was watching these incredible performers on a large screen, but they were relatively close to me. But not close enough to see, really. I did hear Joe Biden (oh, Joe Biden) on the speakers a split-second before I saw him on the screen. Does that make sense? I'm saying I knew I was there, and so was Bono, and Stevie Wonder, and assorted celebs giving cheesy odes to Lincoln.

But it was pretty cool.

It turns out that Garth Brooks is actually an amazing entertainer. I don't know why he included "singin' whiskey and rye" each refrain - pretty sure alcohol is still front and center in those phrases - but I forgave him and happily sang along. And who didn't sing a little bit louder now when he covered "Shout"? Yes, now I remember. I really am here in D.C., celebrating the inaugural events with hundreds of thousands, and millions in spirit.

Sweet.

Speaking of rhythm and blue-oohs!, it is possible to feel star-struck watching a Jumbotron:

Stevie Wonder is my hero.

No comments: