Monday, October 27, 2008

are you writing this stuff down?

I can't believe how often people ask me if I'm writing anything these days.

Well, sometimes, I say. No columns or news articles anymore. But a little bit for me. I'll spend 15 minutes writing furiously (quite literally) on my laptop. I keep a sweet hardbound journal on my bedside table to chart my dreams, and I carry a little notebook around when I think of it.

And maybe that's okay for now.

But I do read a lot. And lately I find myself responding in the same way:

Why aren't there women writing like this?

And if I do stumble upon some brilliant prose by a woman, I try to mold their insights into mine. Or maybe the other way around.

I think that says quite a lot. I think I am saying quite a lot. I think I need to speak up.

No comments: